Ok, this is where the obligatory bio type thing is located.
Brief life story
Born in Dorset, back in 1979, but lived most of my life since then on the Isle of Wight (still do in fact).
I’m currently a Director at a small, but pretty nifty company named DataSwift, having previously worked for the local council at a couple of the schools as IT Tech, following graduating from Southampton University in 2001.
In my spare time, aside from creating websites (including the ANS RISC OS Filebase) I play percussion in the Isle of Wight Symphony Orchestra.
At some point I may get around to putting a proper CV on-line, but until then, here’s a short list of some things I know a bit about:
- Microsoft Windows-based networks (NT4, 2000, 2003 & 2008 Server)
- Active Directory structure (including troubleshooting replication, roles etc)
- Group Policies (including software deployment and user lock-down)
- Scripting (for log-on scripts, printers etc.)
- Exchange 2000, 2003 and 2007 (the latter in all its Powershell goodness)
- Terminal Services
- All manner of common (and some not so common) Windows-based software
- Apple Networks
- OS X 10.4 & 5 Client & Server
- Integration with Windows Active Directory
- Apache web server
- MySQL database
- Various email servers (Dovecott, Sendmail, Exim)
- PHP (4 & 5) and various common applications such as WordPress
- General Networking
- VPNs (PPTP, Netgear IPSEC)
- VLANs & VLAN routing
- Wireless networks (security, planning and surveying)
- DNS and DHCP troubleshooting
- Firewalls (Netgear ProSafe, Smoothwall and Microsoft ISA)
- Website Design
- HTML 4
- XHTML (1.0 & 1.1)
- CSS 2.0
- WordPress themes
- W3C standards compliance
A lot of my working life has been spent designing, implementing and supporting networks for educational environments, so data security, user rights and ease of maintenance have been a high priority.